Summer Reading Program - Frequently Asked Questions
A. No, like all Frederick County Public Libraries programs, the Summer of Wonder Program is free!
A. There are 2 ways to sign up for Summer Reading.
1. You may visit your local branch library to sign up.
2. You may sign up online by visiting the Summer Reading Program Website. Select your reading program from the top of the page - FIZZ BOOM READ! for birth through 5th graders and Spark a Reaction for 6th graders through college freshmen - then click on the Login to the Summer Reading Website button followed by the Sign Me Up button. Select a username and password, and enter your name and other information. You do not need a library card to sign up for Summer Reading. Note: Please enter as much information as you can, since we will use this to contact you if you win one of the grand prizes. Make sure you come to the library to pick up your Summer Reading packet , including your gameboard, and to get your prizes.
A. The library requests as little information as possible from you, and your name will never be visible to others viewing the site, even if you post reviews of the books you read. The database that contains all of the information about your account is secured by encrypted password access. However, we encourage you not to share your username or password with anyone.
A. If you have already signed up for Summer Reading, but did not get a username and password, contact your local branch library and ask to have them set your username and password.
If you have not signed up for Summer Reading, visit the Summer Reading Program Website. Select your reading program from the tabs at the top of the page (FIZZ BOOM READ! for Kids and Spark a Reaction for Teens) and then click on the Sign Me Up button. Select a username and password, and enter your name and other information. You do not need a library card to sign up for Summer Reading. Note: Please enter as much information as you can, since we will use this to contact you if you win one of the prizes. Make sure you come to the library to pick up your Summer Reading packet, including your gameboard, and to get your prizes!
A. Click OK and then try choosing a different username. Adding a number at the end of your preferred username might help, or selecting a combination of two usernames you like.
A. There are 3 ways to find out what your username and/or password might be:
1. If you provided an email address when you signed up for the Summer Reading Program, click on the “Forgot Your Login Info?” button on the Summer Reading Program Website. Enter your email address in the box and click “Go.” An email will be sent to your email address with your username and password.
2. Contact your local branch library.
3. If you provided an email address when you signed up for the Summer Reading Program, you should have received a confirmation email with your username and password. Check your inbox for this email.
1. Log into the Summer Reading Program Website with your existing password.
2. Click on the “Your Info” button.
3. Click on “Change Password” to set a new password.
4. Click the “Save” button to get back to the main menu.
A. No! You can sign up at your local branch library and participate at the library without using the website at all. However, kids can earn an extra prize by tracking their minutes online and reading 600 or more minutes.
1. Log into the Summer Reading Program Website.
2. Click on “Add/View Log.”
3. Enter the number of minutes that you read and the title of the book, magazine, newspaper, or other printed material that you read.
4. You may add a text review and a numerical review on this screen as well.
5. Select the date when you read the material from the calendar icon.
6. Select Yes or No if you do or do not want other people to see your review. Note: If you select "Yes," your name will not appear with your review. All reviews must follow FCPL’s Social Media Commenting Policy.
7. Click “Save” to save your minutes and review.
8. You will now see your minutes added to your log.
9. Click “Back” to go back to the main menu.
A. If you are participating in the FIZZ BOOM READ! program for kids, you should come to the library and get a gameboard. You earn a prize for each completed row of reading activities on the gameboard. There are 3 rows with 6 reading activities in each. When you complete the third row, your prize will be a paperback book. You can also earn one treasure chest prize for logging 600 or more minutes online. You cannot complete the FIZZ BOOM READ! program for kids and receive your completion certificate and take home your free book without using the gameboard and visiting the library.
If you are participating in the Spark a Reaction program for teens, you should come to the library and get a gameboard. You can track your gameboard activities, hours of reading, or teen program attendance on the Summer Reading Program Website. You are automatically entered into prize drawings for cool gift cards for each logged gameboard activity, hour of reading, or teen program attended. Once you complete the 12 activities on your gameboard, you should come to the library to select your free book. You can continue entering hours of reading and teen program attendance for more chances to win.
A. We have a limited number of gameboards and are not able to give out extras. We encourage patrons to log reading online using the Summer Reading Program Website. Teens can also attach a sheet of paper to their gameboard and note their reading time. They can take this to the library to have more chances to win prizes.
A. A Passport to Reading is on the back of all gameboards. If you have registered online, be sure to collect your gameboard with passport at your local branch, along with your other sign up materials. Patrons must visit and receive a stamp at each of FCPL’s 8 branches to complete the passport activity. Once a patron has visited all 8 branches, they must turn their passport in to any FCPL library by August 9, 2014 to enter a drawing for a backpack, a baseball signed by Frederick Keys baseball players, and a $20 PNC gift card. Pick up a keychain prize when you turn in your passport!
A. We have lots of great prizes for both programs thanks to the generosity of our sponsors. Check them out here!
A. Visit your local branch library to pick up your prizes.
Kids in the FIZZ BOOM READ! program earn 1 prize from the treasure chest for each of the first 2 completed rows of gameboard activities. For the third row, they can select a paperback book to keep. Kids also earn 1 treasure chest prize for recording 600 or more minutes on the Summer Reading Program Website
Teens in the Spark a Reaction program enter a random prize drawings for cool gift cards for every gameboard activity, hour of reading, or teen program attended and logged online or reported to their branch library. The more teens do the more chances they have to win! After completing a combination of 12 gameboard activities, hours read, and programs attended, teens visit the library and select a paperback book to keep.
A. Library staff will contact the family of the lucky child or teen who has won the grand prize, or any of the “bigger” prizes offered by the branches. Patrons must be registered by August 10, 2013 to be eligible for any of the grand prizes.
A. The last date to pick up prizes for the Summer Reading Program is September 2nd. No prizes will be available after that date.
A. If you are unable to print your certificate, tell your branch librarian. We will log into your account and verify that you have logged the minimum minutes needed.