Cards are free to:
- anyone who lives or works in Maryland
- anyone with a valid card from any of the following libraries:
- cities of: Alexandria, Falls Church, and Washington D.C.
- Virginia counties of: Arlington; Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William
Out of State residents may obtain a card for a one-time fee of $40.00.
Proof of name and address required. Children under the age of 14 must have parent/guardian’s signature in order to obtain a library card. Parent/guardian must provide proof of his/her own name and address.
Cards expire if not used in 2 years. Library users are responsible for lost or damaged materials, and parents/guardians are responsible for all materials borrowed on their child’s card. Replacement card $1.00. Report change of address or phone number to your local branch or change it yourself in our catalog.
Proof of Address Examples:
- Valid MD driver's license or state ID card
- A current piece of mail addressed to you
- Current paystub
- Current utility bill
- Lease agreement of property title
- A printed check
- MVA Change of address card
Steps for getting a library card
- Fill out our Online User Registration form in the online catalog.
- Once you've received your Temporary ID number, visit any FCPL Branch to pick up your permanent card. You may use your Temporary ID number to place a hold on up to three items.
- Proof of address is required. For a child without proof of address, a parent's proof of address is needed.
- The cardholder must be present to receive a library card.